Quantcast

Margin of "Error" for Distance

Matthew
Is there a way to assign a percentage for the margin which you are willing to play with for the run?  IE +/- 1%  or  +/- .3 miles?

If you made this app with a "margin of error" option and an ability to export (as you already have) to 3rd party programs, then people would probably buy this app (android or iphone).

(if this program also would not force itself to use the whole road length... if it had some sort of ability to turn on or off the "use of entire road length for small legs of the journey" that would be a plus).

Re: Margin of "Error" for Distance

Leigh Chinitz
Administrator
Hi Matthew,

So, can you explain what you mean here?  For the first item, I assume you are saying that if someone chooses +- 0.3 miles then the program would not return a result that was outside that range, correct?  So if someone asks for a 10 mile route, they would get one between 9.7 and 10.3 miles, but not outside that range.

What is the second one, exactly?  Not using the entire road length?  I'm not sure exactly what you are suggesting, so can you explain it in a little more detail please?

And thanks for the ideas!

Leigh

Re: Margin of "Error" for Distance

Frank
I think it is clear enough what he is suggesting. When we enter a desired distance, we want to have routes generated that are close to that distance, not 50% off like they can be in some cases. His suggestion is that we can enter a range that the distance must be within, either as a percentage og as an absolute distance in miles or kilometers.

10 miles +-5% will generate routes between 9.5 and 10.5 miles in length.

10 miles +-1 mile will generate routes between 9 miles and 11 miles in length.

Re: Margin of "Error" for Distance

Leigh Chinitz
Administrator
Yes, I understand the comment about a margin.  It's the comment about using the whole road length that I don't understand.

At any rate, I added a margin into the OSM version of the code.  If someone wants to take a look and see if it's behaving as you'd like I'd appreciate it.  If it is, I can move it into the Google Maps version of the code as well.

So look in http://www.routeloops.com/OSM

Leigh

Re: Margin of "Error" for Distance

gnappino
the map is terrible flat on italy can you switch on opencyclemap for the osm version ?

brouter example is fantastic for design a track and save to gpx , but lacks of routeloops tools

http://bit.ly/1u5rlRq

please add opencyclemap layer

Re: Margin of "Error" for Distance

Leigh Chinitz
Administrator
Hi,

I've seen your request, but at the moment I do not know how to add this layer.  I access the OSM data through the Mapquest APIs, and I do not see anything about a cycling layer in their documentation.

http://developer.mapquest.com/web/documentation/open-sdk/javascript/v7.2/api/classes/MQA.TileMap.html

I'll keep looking around, but at the moment I do not know how to do this.

Leigh

Re: Margin of "Error" for Distance

gnappino
http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open/map

is this photo i see opencyclemap

http://developer.mapquest.com/image/image_gallery?uuid=8962fd8e-adf4-40f0-80e5-3e2596f97690&groupId=12875&t=1319737627310

Il 08/11/2014 15:11, Leigh Chinitz [via RouteLoops Forum] ha scritto:
Hi,

I've seen your request, but at the moment I do not know how to add this layer.  I access the OSM data through the Mapquest APIs, and I do not see anything about a cycling layer in their documentation.

http://developer.mapquest.com/web/documentation/open-sdk/javascript/v7.2/api/classes/MQA.TileMap.html

I'll keep looking around, but at the moment I do not know how to do this.

Leigh

http://routeloops-forum.969496.n3.nabble.com/Margin-of-Error-for-Distance-tp3749195p4012921.html
To unsubscribe from Margin of "Error" for Distance, click here.
NAML

Re: Margin of "Error" for Distance

Leigh Chinitz
Administrator
Yes, but that is in the Potlatch documentation.  I am using the Javascript APIs.

As I said, I'll continue to look into it.  Apparently the fact that it is working on top of the Google Maps API is not working for you?